Oatmeal Summer Squash Muffins

August 12th, 2008  |  Published in All, Grand Grains, Most Popular, Succulent Spices, Summer Squash & Zucchini, Veritable Vegetables, Weekend Projects  |  19 Comments

Oatmeal Summer Squash Muffins

The annual zucchini proliferation is upon us!  Last week alone I was given six large zucchini, which were in addition to the four I had bought at the farmer’s market the weekend before.  Whew!   Though we had zucchini and summer squash .. um .. the phrase ‘coming out our ears’ comes to mind, none went to waste.

After making stuffed zucchini, sauteed zucchini with tarragon, zucchini jalapeno pasta, zucchini puree, and savory zucchini and tomato bread, I decided a sweet preparation would be a good way to round out the endeavor.  Hence came Oatmeal Summer Squash Muffins — a wonderfully moist muffin, lightly sweetened with honey, and seasoned with cinnamon and mace.  Delicious!!

This muffin recipe is adapted from one of my favorite, most-used cookbooks, Simply in Season.  The book is arranged by — you guessed it — season, and further by seasonal ingredient.  I love this because it lends itself so well to shopping at the farmer’s market.  The recipes feature one or two fresh vegetables or fruits; the other ingredients are typically ‘whole’, widely available, and suitable even for a tight budget.  The preparations are simple, fairly quick, and many substitutions are offered to suit what is already in your kitchen.  To me, it feels like a frugal how-to guide on cooking all the things your mother or your grandmother or great-grandmother used to make…  it’s simply lovely!

Anyways, zucchini proliferation continues, and I continue to look for interesting ways to use zucchini — do you have any ideas?

Oatmeal Summer Squash Muffins

scant 1/2 t. mace

1 egg
1 c. milk
1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. honey
1 1/2 c. grated summer squash or zucchini

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine flours, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and mace in a medium-large bowl.

In a medium bowl, combine egg, milk, oil, and honey. Mix well. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Gently fold in squash.

Fill lined or well-greased muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

*Note: feel free to use whatever flour combination you want — all whole wheat, all AP, whole wheat pastry, white whole wheat — just make sure it adds up to 1 1/2 cups in total!

1. Claire says:

August 13th, 2008at 5:46 am(#)

These look lovely. I’ve been meaning to bake some bread with zucchini as an ingredient. I’ll have to try these soon.

Mark Bittman had a recipe for zucchini stuffed with pistou last week in the nytimes (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/06/dining/063mrex.html?ref=dining) He got it from a vegetarian restaurant in Nice. I am eager to try that take on zucchini as well.

Thanks for the wonderful idea and recipe!

2. Saltpepperlime says:

August 13th, 2008at 5:56 am(#)

That does look like a great recipe! I like that you use honey as the sweetener! Will have to try these some time.

August 13th, 2008at 8:42 am(#)

Claire – the pistou looks delicious. I bet borage would be especially lovely as the main herb

Saltpepperlime – I love honey as a sweetener; basically I dislike how white sugar makes me feel (I’ve always been sensitive to it), so am always looking for natural alternatives… my next experiments are going to be with agave nectar

4. Saltpepperlime says:

August 13th, 2008at 9:06 am(#)

That is EXACTLY how I feel about white sugar! I’ve never tried using agave, I’ll look forward to reading about your experiments!

5. Kathy (geekypoet) says:

August 14th, 2008at 11:02 am(#)

Yum… The squash borers and the rabbit got all my squash this year. I may just have to get some at the market this weekend to make these!

August 14th, 2008at 12:28 pm(#)

Kathy – oh no! well, at least zucchini/summer squash seems to be the #1 giveaway vegetable for gardeners…

7. Sophie says:

August 17th, 2008at 1:20 am(#)

Love the sound of these muffins – zucchini *and* oats. I like zucchini raw and julienned or cut into matchsticks, in a sandwich with ricotta cheese, mint and lemon zest

8. Miri says:

August 18th, 2008at 1:00 am(#)

Wonderful looking muffins, Jen! The tastes combo sounds yummy.

August 18th, 2008at 8:29 am(#)

Sophie – ooh, your sandwich idea sounds delicious! I love ricotta on almost anything (though I am very picky about my ricotta!), and the lemon/mint/zucchini combination sounds lovely

Miri — thanks for commenting! they really are yummy, and not too sweet since the only sweetener is a bit of honey

10. Kristen@TheFrugalGirl says:

August 29th, 2008at 9:50 am(#)

These sound good! I am often the recipient of my parents’ excess squash and zucchini, so this recipe could come in handy.

11. Easy Fast FOOD » Blog Archive » Vegan Carrot Raspberry Blackberry Muffins says:

August 29th, 2008at 11:34 am(#)

[...] have been reading a lot of muffin recipes lately (at Modern Beet, Mango Power Girl etc.) So, when I had too many carrots around, I thought I would try my hand at [...]

12. Tiffany says:

September 11th, 2008at 8:02 am(#)

My husband only likes zucchini when it is baked in a bread. He also claims to dislike squash. So, with these two facts in mind, I can conclude that I can encourage him to like squash if I bake these muffins. That makes sense, right?! Thanks for sharing.

September 11th, 2008at 8:15 am(#)

Tiffany – that sounds logical to me! if he really doesn’t like summer squash, these would work equally as well with zucchini — personally, I use them interchangeably, except when I want green flecks from the zucchini skin

14. A Mash for Mom: Banana-Squash Oat Muffins with Carob Chips « Cold Cereal & Toast says:

January 30th, 2010at 7:14 am(#)

[...] lonely, ripening banana at my disposal as well, I put this theory to the test using Modern Beet’s Oatmeal Summer Squash Muffins as the base for my [...]

15. newRDcook says:

January 30th, 2010at 9:44 am(#)

I really like this recipe. Simple ingredients and I love using produce in baked goods for a more nutritious treat. Thanks!

January 30th, 2010at 11:43 am(#)

newRDcook — thanks for commenting! Simple ingredients and preparations are definitely central tenets of my cooking. Your butternut/banana/carob chip version sounds delicious too!

17. Steffi says:

July 1st, 2011at 9:51 am(#)

just made this and they’re in the oven now! can’t wait to try them!

18. csa 2012 week 8 « dolce vita verde says:

July 28th, 2012at 4:40 pm(#)

[...] oatmeal summer squash muffins??? [...]

19. Kristen says:

June 9th, 2013at 4:46 pm(#)

Tried the oatmeal summer squash muffins today…had to sub a banana for the egg as I was in the middle of the recipe before I realized we have no eggs in the house, but a yummy addition!