Homemade Greek Orange Sausage (Loukanika)

September 16th, 2008  |  Published in All, DIY Food Projects, Fantastic Fruits, Garlic, Homemade Sausage and Meat Cookery, Honorable Herbs, Most Popular, Orange, Sausages, Meats, Succulent Spices, Thyme, Weekend Projects  |  14 Comments

Homemade bulk sausage
1 lb raw homemade sausage

Homemade Sausage: Greek Orange / Loukanika
Adapted from ‘The Sausage Making Cookbook’ by Jerry Predika
makes 5 lbs

5 lbs boneless pork shoulder, chilled (or 5 lbs finely ground pork butt/shoulder)
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 T. dried thyme
1 T. dried marjoram
1.5 T grated orange zest
1 T. ground allspice
1 T. black pepper
1 T. salt
1 c. dry white wine

Step 1: Make seasoning mixture
Combine garlic, thyme, marjoram, orange zest, allspice, pepper, salt, and white wine in a bowl or measuring cup and allow to stand for an hour to allow the flavors to blend.

Step 2: Grind pork (skip this step if using pre-ground pork)
Cut the chilled pork shoulder into 1 inch chunks, then grind using the fine or medium plate of your meat grinder.  Place ground meat in refrigerator until ready to use.

Step 3: Make sausage
Combine chilled ground pork and seasoning mixture in a large bowl, and blend using your (clean) hands, taking care that the seasoning mixture is evenly distributed.  Form into patties, divide into bulk portions, stuff into casings, or make ‘skinless’ links using the stuffing tube of your meat grinder.

Enjoy!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A while back, I got the idea in my head that I wanted to make my own sausage.  Why?  first and foremost, I love good sausage; secondly, I’m *very* picky about my sausage — it needs to be super high quality and made with fresh, ethically sourced ingredients (which severely limits my choices of where to buy sausage); thirdly, there’s a huge amount of room for culinary creativity; fourthly, did I mention I love good sausage?  So I poked around the internet and found my grinder — the Porkert #10 — a solid cast iron grinder with a double tin coating, straight from the Czech Republic.

Porkert #10 meat grinder
Porkert #10 grinder

My birthday was coming up, and so I said to Steven — ‘I found what I’d like for my birthday’, and showed him the grinder.

‘What?!?  I’m not getting you a meat grinder for your birthday!  Do you want some jewelry, something nice, I don’t know… something that’s NOT a meat grinder?’ he replied.

Well, as you can see he finally came around to the idea, mostly through me saying things like, ‘don’t you want to get me something you know that I really want and will use?’ and ‘wouldn’t you rather know that what is going into your sausage is all fresh, high-quality, ethical, etc?’.  And I must say, you know you’ve got a good man if he’ll get you a meat grinder for your birthday… :)

So my birthday came and went — it was a fantastic day — we slept in, had a good breakfast of eggs, biscuits, and padrones peppers, took a long beautiful drive out to the ocean, stopped at a goat farm for super fresh goat cheese, climbed the rocks and listened to the surf at the beach … and of course, I received my wonderful BIRTHDAY MEAT GRINDER from Steven.

I didn’t waste any time getting started on my sausage making endeavor:  I placed an order with my butcher for 5 lbs of pastured pork shoulder (also called boston butt or picnic shoulder), which I would make into homemade sausage treats for my birthday BBQ this past weekend (yeah, I stretch my birthday celebration out for at least 2-3 weeks).

So, you might be thinking — what in the world would one do with 5 LBS of sausage??  well, around here, we actually eat a fair bit of sausage — I typically buy fresh sausages from the butcher or the farmer’s market then remove the casings and use the sausage in pasta dishes, casseroles, with scrambled eggs, on pizza, stuffed into zucchini or eggplants.  A little goes a long way, and I find it’s a good way to eat less meat without sacrificing taste, culinary creativity, etc.

Boneless pork shoulder
2.5lbs boneless pork shoulder

sliced pork shoulder
Slicing pork shoulder into cubes

But here’s what I did with these specific 5 lbs — 2 lbs got cooked into dishes for the BBQ, 2 lbs were frozen (2 x 1lb bags), and 1 lb was made into skinless breakfast links and patties (which I also froze).  This will last us at *least* a month, if not more.  This particular recipe with its herby, peppery, and orange undertones works well either at breakfast time, or cooked into a savory lunch or dinner dish.

cooking sausage
starting to cook sausage

cooked sausage
sausage is almost done!

Anyhow, I have many sausage making plans on the horizon:
- spicy creole
- Pennsylvania Dutch breakfast sausage
- Cantonese style sausage (with honey, orange juice, soy sauce, and vinegar)
- German caraway (Schwabischewurst)
- Bologna

… to name a few.  I’ve been browsing ‘The Sausage Making Cookbook’, which has no fewer than 230 sausages recipes from all over the world — delicious!

1. Debs says:

September 17th, 2008at 2:25 pm(#)

Your meat grinder is lovely! It looks like it would last centuries. Happy sausage making!

Debs
    Food Is Love

September 17th, 2008at 8:52 pm(#)

Debs — thanks! I expect I’ll have it for a very long time… sort of like my cast iron pan (I’m the 3rd generation to use it), I expect it will be in the Carlile family for a long time

3. Maggie says:

September 18th, 2008at 5:21 am(#)

The orange zest and spices sound wonderful! I love my meat grinder. I use it a lot for making meatballs.

I wanted to let you know that I got a chance to use the Pomona’s pectin and loved it. I made Concord grape jelly. My father in law grows them in his backyard. I made one batch with honey and one with sugar and both were wonderful. Thanks for letting me know about the product!

September 18th, 2008at 8:29 am(#)

Maggie — feel like sharing your meatball recipe? :) I’ve made them a few times, but they have never turned out as well as I would have liked… also, I’m glad you like the Pomona’s Pectin. Besides the recipe card in the box, their website has a quite a few other interesting recipes — it’s worth checking out

5. Maggie says:

September 19th, 2008at 6:43 pm(#)

I looked through the recipes online. I’d like to try the panna cotta recipe they have.

I love meatballs in soup. Mine are usually more like balls of sausage that I flavor to compliment the soup. I hate breadcrumb filler. I have one recipe online for pork meatball soup. I make the same meatballs but flavor them with fennel seed, garlic and pepper for a kale soup that is fantastic.

6. Tiffany says:

September 20th, 2008at 4:17 am(#)

This sounds wonderful. . . I am tempted to go out and buy my own meat grinder to make this!

September 20th, 2008at 8:01 am(#)

Maggie — thanks for the pointer to the recipe! I bet you could also do a really nice chorizo-like meatball in a mexican style soup (chorizo meat balls, hominy, potatoes, perhaps some kale, lots of chilis etc)

Tiffany — I’m totally loving my meat grinder! they range from about $40 – $60, or if you have a kitchen aid mixer, there’s a meat grinder attachment for ~$20… totally worth it!

8. Madeline says:

September 21st, 2008at 1:49 pm(#)

Hahaha, I get the same response from my boyfriend on my birthday. I say, just take me to the kitchen store! Your meat grinder is a fantastic gift, I had no idea they are so affordable. Your sausage recipe sounds really great. I love the sound of adding orange zest. Now I just have to get my hands on a meat grinder :)

9. Rebecca says:

October 7th, 2008at 1:19 pm(#)

The birthday meat grinder is hilarious–just what I would have done.

“Well, honey, think of all the tasty sausage I can make for you!”

I found a nice solid meat grinder at a church rummage for $5. I was so excited I blogged about it, but I still haven’t used it. Winter…

10. Kyle says:

July 28th, 2009at 6:59 am(#)

Now you just have to add the next step of getting a sausage stuffer. I have been doing it for years and is much better than just mixing the spices and cooking it up on the spot.

11. Orange, Pomelo, Lemon and Ginger Preserves | Modern Beet says:

January 7th, 2010at 6:57 pm(#)

[...] like embarking on culinary adventures.  Homemade tofu, jelly, pickles, sauerkraut, tempeh, and sausage are the sorts of things I am talking about here — things you can easily buy at the grocery [...]

12. Gaptek Update says:

October 7th, 2011at 12:05 pm(#)

Gaptek Update i need to study this more. would you help me ? thanks for your introduction. regards Gaptek Update…

13. Katie says:

January 21st, 2013at 4:58 am(#)

Think it would be as tasty with turkey or chicken instead? I live in Morocco and it’s near impossible to find pork here. :(

January 22nd, 2013at 9:53 pm(#)

Hi Katie,
    Hmmm… it could work with chicken or turkey, but I think you’d need to somehow figure out how to add some fat into the mix. Pork shoulder is probably ~20% fat, whereas chicken or turkey is quite lean… maybe mixing in some rendered duck or chicken fat would do the trick? Another approach would be to make meatballs out of the mix and cook them in a sauce. I’ve had good luck with this chicken meatball recipe — perhaps you could riff on the idea and make a greek inspired version… Jen